Monday, February 25, 2013

New Year's Eve

On the morning of New Year's Eve, I realized I was outright sick, the kind of sick that would have kept me home in bed if I'd been home and not in Idaho. So I made myself absolutely useless and napped all day while our friends cooked and cooked and cooked. And I prayed fervently that my sinus infection would not prevent me from being able to taste and enjoy my dinner. The Hamiltons cook a mean dinner.

The medicinal properties of a snuggle with a cat who does not normally take to strangers cannot be overstated.


I changed out of my pajamas when the festivities drew nigh.



I just love this picture. That's Willem with his head in his hands and Andrew with the twinkle in his eye.


My prayers were answered! Our epic dinner started with this cheese plate, and I tasted and enjoyed every bite.


Creamy wild mushroom soup. Mmm.


Here are the short ribs in progress. I need more short ribs in my life.


The younger kids needed sleep at some point, but Nels our night owl was allowed to stay up late with the grown-ups, which is his very favorite thing. Dear Amanda let him help with dessert and put him to work in the kitchen. As you can see, he was pretty jazzed to be entrusted with the stirring of the the creme anglaise.


Hello, apple tart.


Here's Nels doing his "I got to stay up late with the grown-ups" dance. I love that dance.


What a time we had, ringing in a brand spanking


sparkly 
new year.


No comments: