Monday, November 3, 2008

What Does Kindness Look Like?


Like this:  On Saturday night I stopped at Trader Joe's for some dark chocolate sea salt caramels and a bottle of wine.  When the cashier carded me, I couldn't help myself; I told her that it was my birthday, and that I had just gone out alone because my husband was home sick.  SO LAME of me, I know.  Instead of (justifiably) rolling her eyes, she disappeared for a moment and then returned with a bunch of flowers, which she placed in my shopping bag.  I almost burst into tears on the spot.

Now LOVE, love looks like this:

Upon my return home (and I really did have a nice time out by myself, eating and shopping), I found that Shaun had cleaned the house.  It had gotten into quite a state with me being sick for a week, added to the fact that I'm not the keenest housekeeper even when healthy.  Shaun's folks had the kids, so we got to enjoy Sunday with a clean, quiet house.  SO QUIET.  Our own personal resort.  Our "Camas vacation home," as Shaun now calls it.  Best birthday present ever.  I do count my blessings.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Another really kind person who works at Trader Joe's just brought me some of those dark chocolate sea salt caramels yesterday. I haven't opened the box yet . . . I'm waiting for a nice quiet moment to savor them. Happy Birthday (a little late).

Gypmar said...

Oh, you have a treat to look forward to. They are soooo good!

Jana said...

Happy Birthday my friend!