Monday, March 19, 2007

Artist Envy

I will share a fault of mine with you. After all, what more appropriate forum could there be for personal examination and introspection than this here blog?

I have artist envy. And artisan envy, for that matter. If you can create something beautiful or compelling or interesting or useful, well, then, I wish I were you. I don't discriminate, either. I do believe I would find it equally fulfilling to make a great song, novel, painting, photo, poem, chair, movie, building, meal, or window display.

I do confess that I have a soft spot for visual art that can be hung on a wall. Producing something that I'd want to decorate my house with I imagine as the be-all and end-all of creative satisfaction.

Of course I can't ignore the fact that the transcendence of great literature was a life raft for me when I was younger, and without it I'd probably be twice as nuts as I am today. So writing a great novel or short story would be particularly gratifying as well.

Then there's the joyous buoyancy of a perfect pop song. When I see my 17 month-old son start to shimmy his shoulders in response to a great song, I can't help but think, man, whoever wrote this song has a direct line to the hardwiring of the soul, and wouldn't it be amazing if I could do that?

So, to all of you out there who make stuff, thanks for all you add to this life and for pointing us to the next. While you're out there creating, I'll be hanging your work on my walls.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Bread pudding = art.

It makes me shimmy. That's all I've got to say...