Monday, June 22, 2009

School's Out For Summer

I'm one of those grumpy people who thinks no one should "graduate" until he or she is finished with high school. So I wasn't thrilled about forking over $18 for a cap and gown for Nels's pre-school graduation, an event which I find gratuitous and a little silly. Fortunately, Willem spent the next week wearing "the hat with the fossil" and "the red dress," so the purchase wasn't a total loss. And Nels's school combined its graduation ceremony with a spring program, which helped to redeem the occasion.

The Pre-K kids made surf boards and did a very elaborate routine to "Surfin' USA." Nels was really into it. Willem learned some of the song too, but he prefers his own rendition: "Burpin' USA."



Nels and his fellow Sensible Seahorses are about to sing their class song.

He's so serious. Like he knows the fun's over.


Hang in there, little buddy. Only thirteen years to go.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I've never seen such eyes of wisdom even on a college grad. I can't believe he's only finished preschool. Great photo. I miss you guys.

Hillary said...

A friend of mine just posted this on face book about his son:

Dexter "graduated" from preschool yesterday..."I never have to go to school AGAIN!!!" Poor bastard.

Gypmar said...

Tragic, isn't it?

We miss you too!!!