Tuesday, March 31, 2009

THIS IS SUCH A DOWNER

No, not my trip to Boise.  That was a ridiculous amount of fun, and I will tell you all about it once the photos are all squared away.

No, the sad news for me can be found in this article summarizing a study by The International Agency for Research on Cancer, published in the British Medical Journal.  And it fully warrants my all-caps title.

Basically, a group of cancer researchers wanted to figure out why a small area in northern Iran had one of the world's highest incidences of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.   Folks in the Golestan province don't use a lot of alcohol or tobacco, which causes most of these cancers in the U.S. and Europe. They drink tea.  LOTS OF VERY HOT TEA.  

Yes, tea is still supposedly good for us.  It's the temperature that's the problem. The recommendation is to let one's tea sit for 4 minutes before drinking it.  I always do that.  Then I add milk and (don't read this, tea purists) heat it back up in the microwave until it's as hot as I can stand it.

According to the study, drinking tea above 158 degrees (which seems very, very hot) yielded an eightfold risk of esophageal cancer.  I haven't gone so far as to take my tea's temperature yet, but I guess I'd better.  Right after I go warm it up.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Chris told me about that study this morning! How crazy and sad is that!! If it's not one thing it's another.

kylee said...

ah man...I know coffee and milk might be different but in my barista years 160-180 degrees was the standard. I don't know if I could handle lukewarm PG.

Gypmar said...

Aaargh, you're right, Kylee. My barista years were so long ago that I'd forgotten. I'm sure I must have let things cool down at least a bit from that, though. Otherwise I'd burn my tongue. I think.

Amy said...

I like my coffee extra hot...are you're saying that's a problem? You're not right... right? =D