Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rest at Last


Chick and great-grandson Henry

You can't pick your family--or can you? Joining God's family was the best thing that ever happened to me. Joining Shaun's family was the next best.

Shaun's grandpa Chick died yesterday, after a long fight against kidney failure. Even though I'm a relative newcomer to the family, knowing Chick and Laurel has been one of the greatest blessings of my life. Chick's steadfast faith in God and his expression of that faith--direct and uncomplicated--were an encouragement and an admonishment to me.

All one had to do to know Chick was to read something he wrote. While many writers (ahem) struggle to find their true voice, Chick was 100% himself. Whether it was in a Christmas letter, an article for the small woodlands newsletter, or a letter to the editor, he was who he was: engaging, blunt, smart, and funny as all get-out.

Today is Chick's birthday, and his pain is finally gone. Of course we wish we were celebrating WITH him, but I suspect that Somone is throwing Chick one doozy of a party.

Happy Birthday, Chick. We love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Like you, my brother was blessed to marry in to the Jensen family.

Chick will be dearly missed. He was one in a million - always quick with a funny quip or sage, helpful insight.

His knack with humor often provided comic relief. I'll treasure the "Man Catcher" he whittled from a pine branch for me as I entered college up there. I was nervous about living 1000 miles away from home and the thought of "catchin' me a man by whackin' him on the head" sure made me laugh. Too bad it didn't work, though ... guess it's the thought that counts, huh?

We'll miss you, Chick!

Gretchen said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like he was an fun and intelligent man.
How special that your boys were able to get to know him and spend time with him!