Friday, February 18, 2011

If You Say So...

Yesterday Willem and I were watching Antiques Roadshow while I folded some laundry. A man brought in a first edition of Cormac McCarthy's The Orchard Keepers that he'd gotten from a relative's estate. The book was in a plastic cover, so he'd figured it might be of some value.

The appraiser was a rather dry, academic fellow, who used the opportunity to educate the viewers on the collecting of modern first editions. Almost all of the book's value is in the dust jacket. In this case, the dust jacket was in excellent condition, but it was a substitute. The book was worth about $125; with the correct jacket it would have been worth much more. The man took this news very cheerfully; the book was free to him after all, and he was quite content with the outcome.

Part-way through their subdued conversation (No Keno brothers here), Willem said, "That could be you and Daddy at dinner."

"You mean--those two men talking--that's what Daddy and I sound like when we're talking at dinner?"

"Yeah."

Well, that's funny. Because if you'd asked me what I sound like when I'm talking at dinner, I would say it was more like please stop tipping your chair back/what are you DOING with your water?/scoot your plate closer to you/that's DISGUSTING/please sit on your chair/you just dipped your sleeve in your sour cream/PLEASE STOP TIPPING YOUR CHAIR BACK!

Today Willem and I were listening to the radio in the car while running some errands. Terry Gross was interviewing James Franco on Fresh Air.

"That sounds like you and Daddy."

Again!

So--if you ever wonder what we're REALLY like at home, when there's no one else around--just tune in to National Public Media. I guess.

No comments: