Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I Enjoy Being a Girl

I spent many years living with sisters and female roommates, and sometimes I feel a little alienated by all the boy energy in my house. Partly because we've moved so frequently in the past several years, I rarely have a girlfriend around to talk about girl stuff with.

Out of sheer desperation, I have been known to show Shaun a cute pair of shoes online and beg him to pretend he cares.

Once in a while, though, being the only girl has its privileges.

About four weeks ago we were all out running errands as a family. We got out of the car; Nels reached for Shaun's hand, and Willem looked up at me as he took mine.

"Do you know why I'm holding your hand?"

"No, why?"

"Because you're the cutest in the family."

OK, I was charmed.

Last week we all went to lunch. Shaun sat across from me, Nels next to him, and Willem pulled up the chair next to me.

"Do you know why I'm sitting next to you?"

"No."

"Because you're the cutest." Off-handedly: "AND you're the prettiest."

I don't care what it is you're selling, kid. I'm buying.

1 comment:

Amy said...

O that is too great. Never gonna happen in my house ... maybe the other way 'round. =D