Sunday, May 25, 2008

Extremely Mixed Emotions

We sold our house. Well, it's under contract, anyway, to close by June 30th.

With this sale we lost about half of the equity we'd gained from our previous house purchase and sale. I won't lie, that hurts. Nothing like selling one's house for waaaay less than one paid for it to beat down one's pride. It's embarrassing.

On the other hand, we sold our house in what is certainly the most difficult market for sellers since we've been old enough to be in the housing market. It sold to two MD's who could have certainly afforded a nicer house, with a big kitchen and a garage. So I'm thankful. A little sick to my stomach, but thankful nonetheless.

We were fortunate enough to ride the market up...not as spectacularly as many did, but enough to be able to lose half of it and still be able to afford a place to live. I don't feel shy about complaining about our stinky rental house, but it does seem wrong to bemoan selling our house at a loss. It is a blessing that we made enough on our first house that this move (buying in Boise at the height of the market and being forced to sell at the bottom) won't ruin us financially.

Needless to say, I cried when our final counter-offer was accepted. Sad that we lost so much money. Relieved that we wouldn't have to pay rent AND mortgage indefinitely, all the while lowering and lowering our asking price.

Of course we still have the inspection to get through. It's not a done deal until we close, and if it falls apart I may need to be institutionalized for emotional overload. I have been so loony and absent-minded this week. When discussing an acceptable sales price, I kept saying an amount $100,000 greater than the actual number. Small difference. I put a lid on my empty tea cup to keep the tea I had forgotten to pour warm. Instead of drying off with my own towel after my shower this morning, I grabbed the towel that we had used to mop up the bathroom floor after last night's crazy rainstorm. So we really don't need any more big news. I will become a danger to myself and to others.

But, for now, I'm celebrating. Any excuse to drink champagne. So I hope you'll raise a glass...be it of champagne (Amanda), Diet Coke (Juli), tea (mom), a Billionaire (Andrew), instant coffee (dad), or a PBR (you know who you are) and join me in a toast: To Selling Our House!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! .... I think????

Very stressful times. We're pullin' for you.

I'm finishing packing Mom's apt. this week and moving everything to storage Thurs. afternoon. I'm sure I'll be using the wrong towel soon, too.

Gypmar said...

Thanks, Nancy. Wow...moving one's own self is enough of a bother. Moving someone else is truly an act of love :) Hang in there!

Gypmar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Glad you're on the way to closing the Boise house. I'm sad for the current (crappy!) situation and hope you'll find another great house for your family to enjoy.
I just took my house off the market and feel an odd mix of sadness and relief = confusion. So I'm moving furniture this weekend to reinvent my life. Big hugs to you and the boys.

Gretchen said...

What a difficult and emotional event. I feel for the loss of a house you have loved and hoped to get more for. I really hope that the near future holds another homey, non-stinky and comfortable home for you guys. Or at least that the stink would LEAVE your house. I am really a smells person so I cringe thinking about your problem!

But, congratulations on selling the house non-the-less!