Thursday, June 2, 2011

Logs III

Here's a student (believe it or not) bucking team. There were Jack and Jill teams (the state champions were there) and Jill and Jill teams as well. The students held their own against the professionals--I'm guessing it's because they have more practice. We learned that the key to success is in the push. If you find yourself pulling the saw, it's all over.


Ax throwing. Nobody lost a limb that I am aware of.


Only the high schoolers did the log rolling. It was NOT a warm day, but several kids jumped in willingly. Willem kept asking me how much it cost to get in there. I couldn't figure out how or if they were scoring the event--I think it was mostly an excuse to goof around.



Cable splicing is a very photogenic event.



It also requires a great deal of strength. Shaun and I watched two girls struggle until they were finally told to stop. They'd made good progress but eventually couldn't get the spike into the cable in the right spot. They were red and close to tears (of frustration), but they didn't cry and they didn't give up.


I loved watching the girls throw themselves into the competition. I'm thinking that future girlfriends for our boys should all come from the forestry club.


Yep.


4 comments:

Gretchen said...

Wow! What an experience! Those are some tough guys and gals for sure.
How fun for your boys to get to watch all the action.

Gypmar said...

Gretchen, I couldn't believe we stayed for five hours and not one of us got bored--not the boys, and not even me :)

Unknown said...

I love the forestry girls!

peter owen said...

used to shut down some ridiculous conversations at my job with lonely people / would say that i'm only attracted to women who know how to weld / act dead serious about it and all that / naturally that's a lie / but that chainsaw woman is making my mind wander a bit / looks like you guys had fun / cheers