Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Proving Mom Wrong: It Hurts So Good

Willem had his five-year immunizations today. I didn't tell him what we were up to until an hour ahead of time, which I figured was optimal both for minimizing dread and for getting the "no, I'm not going to have shots" fit over with before we got there. Upon receiving the bad news, Willem did indeed shut himself in his room and proclaim that he would not be getting shots. Fortunately, I had a bargaining chip in the form of a threat to withhold a rare play date with his best friend the following day.

Resigned to the inevitable, Willem came out of his room and sought to arm himself with information.

Will it hurt?
How long will it take?
Where will they do it?
Will I scream?

"No, you won't scream. You might say ouch! ouch!" I said, smiling and keeping my ouches lively, as though I were being bothered by some minor nuisance. Willem must not have remembered the day Nels had those shots: his thigh muscles were so tense, it was like trying to stick a needle into a marble statue, and he screamed bloody murder.

When the big moment arrived, the nurse had Willem sit on my lap with his legs hung over to the side. I wrapped my arms around his chest and held his arms close. I think we both found this comforting, even though the nurse's sole aim was to prevent him grabbing for the needle. (Can you imagine? Apparently kids do that all the time.)

Prick. Prick. Prick.

Willem sat utterly still and silent until the nurse set everything down, and it was clear that she was done. Only then did the sound leak out, a low hiss that turned into a quiet moan, and he began to shake. He took a few moments to collect himself, then looked at me with triumph in his teary eyes.

"See, Mom? I didn't even say ouch! ouch! like you said I would."

3 comments:

Annie Nannie said...

Ah - so brave, our Willem, the Lionhearted.

Gretchen said...

Oh he's so brave! We have ours planned for this Friday... =0/
I should have Anders talk to Willem on the phone and get the low down if he has problems.

Gypmar said...

Honestly, I think it's more contrariness than bravery, but he does have an iron will! Good luck to you, Gretchen and Anders :)